The current Passion plays are a logical evolution of the so called “mysteries”. A "mystery" was the dramatic representation of medieval origins in which passages from Jesus, Mary and other saints’ lifes were staged. Later on, the genre evolved: scenography got more complex, performances began to take place in squares rather than inside churches, music slowly moved away from its preponderant role, priests stopped being the only actors, brotherhoods were formed, mimics intervened…
As a result of this ongoing evolution, by the XIV century “mysteries” had turned into true theatrical plays.
As for the origins of our Passion play, there is a letter dated 1611 in which residents of the village of Sant Llorenç d'Hortons write to relatives from Esparreguera announcing their visit to the town to watch a performance of La Passió.
In 1860, after a long interruption, performances began again, this time in an indoor venue. This was the beginning of the strictly speaking historical stage of La Passió d’Esparreguera as we know it nowadays.
The urge of the men from El Patronat, since 1957, translated into the construction of the current theatre. The project was initiated in 1958 and it was inaugurated in 1969. La Passió d'Esparreguera was declared to be of national interest in 1983.